May 23, 2020

SQL Server 2016 SP2 CU12 Upgrade Issue.


Few days back my patching team was doing security upgrade on one of customer production server. After their patching SQL Server has not came up. 
That was the issue.
Earlier SQL Server patch level: SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition with SP2 with CU11
Current SQL Server patch level: SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition with SP2 with CU12

Our L1 support team started the SQL with –T902 start-up parameter and it came up. But the problem doesn’t end here. It was the starting point. There was a long to go.


My L1 team informed me to look into this. Then I started investigating the issue. This was not first time I was encountering the issue. –T902 is famous in DBA world for bypass scripting mode in SQL Server. But here the situation was different. I was getting SQL dump in event log if I was starting SQL normally. This was little different situation. Normally we get error message ***.SQL script unable to apply on DB.

 To overcome the issue, I prepared below plans...

1.       Uninstall the applied patch from the system and try to start. No Luck.

2.       Reinstall the patch (SQL 2016 SP2 CU 12) and try to start SQL. No Luck.

3.       Start SQL server with –m mode (single user mode) and rebuild master. No Luck. I was unable to rebuild the master DB because of version mismatch issue with master DB backup and current SQL Server status.

4.       Start SQL Server in –T902 mode and restore old master DB with different DB name but the same master DB files name on different location and then stop SQL Server and replace current master DB files with the DB files. This technique was working but SQL was unable to start without –T902 trace flag. I was getting the same error in SQL error log. No Luck.

5.       Start SQL server with –m and –f mode (single user mode with minimal configuration mode). No Luck.


I have tried all the options but I was not able to fix the issue.  Please put your comment in comment box and let me know your suggestions...





Stay In Touch:






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any doubt or question, please contact us.